Can I Become A US Citizen If I Had Been Arrested Before?

It may be possible, but it may not be possible as well.

If you are not a US citizen, all current US and foreign arrests or those in your past should be reviewed by a lawyer whether you are applying for US citizenship or not.

Just pleading “no contest” to a criminal charge and having “adjudication withheld” is enough in some cases for the government to have a person deported.

Even if you do not apply for citizenship, criminal histories will be reviewed when renewing a green card and an arrest could jeopardize your ability to remain in the United States.

If you have any questions regarding immigration, please feel free to call me, immigration attorney Shawn Mesa at (813) 679-5780.

Disclaimer: This information is provided as a public service and not intended to establish an attorney-client relationship. Any reliance on this information is taken at your own risk.

Comments on this entry are closed.