I am a Mexican in the US, how do I get my birth certificate?

Many people will need to have a birth certificate to apply for the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program as well as the Deferred Action for Parental Accountability (DAPA) program. If you are Mexican and need to have a birth certificate for one of these programs or just want a copy of your birth certificate, you no longer need to leave the US to get it.

Starting January 15th, 2015, the consulates of Mexico in the United States began issuing certified copies of birth certificates registered in Mexico.

To obtain the certified copies, Mexican nationals should visit the nearest Mexican consulate in the US, present an official proof of identity, fill out an application and provide their Clave Única de Registro de Población (CURP) in case they have one. The cost of each certified copy is $13.

The issuance of certified copies does not carry any additional costs. Be aware of abuses and scams. Nobody can charge additional fees for this service. Those interested in obtaining a certified copy of their birth certificate can get more information in the free application for smartphones and mobile devices “MiConsulmex” or at the toll free number
Centro de Información y Asistencia a Mexicanos (CIAM): 1-855-463-6395.

Mexican consulates will continue offering protection and consular assistance to Mexicans regardless of their immigration status in the United States.

If you have any questions regarding US immigration, please feel free to call me, immigration attorney Shawn Mesa at (813) 679-5780.

Disclaimer: This information is provided as a public service and not intended to establish an attorney-client relationship. Any reliance on this information is taken at your own risk.

Comments on this entry are closed.