Will I lose my US citizenship if I become a citizen of another country?

Not necessarily, but you should speak with us and a foreign legal professional before applying to become a citizen of a foreign country. You may owe obligations to the foreign country, such as income tax and military service.

The United States will not recognize your foreign citizenship unless you intentionally and voluntarily relinquish or give up your US citizenship. This requires you to appear in person in front of a US diplomatic officer, in a foreign country usually at a US Embassy or Consulate, to sign an oath of renunciation.

If you have any questions regarding immigration or US citizenship, please feel free to call me, immigration attorney Shawn Mesa at (813) 679-5780.

Disclaimer: This information is provided as a public service and not intended to establish an attorney-client relationship. Any reliance on this information is taken at your own risk.

Comments on this entry are closed.