Is the US Consulate in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico now requiring Police certificates or clearances for immigrant visa applicants?

Yes, many people will now be required to give a police certificate. As of March 6, 2017, any new immigrant visa case that begins processing at the National Visa Center will be subject to the new policy if the person is 18 years old or older and has resided in Mexico for more than 6 months since turning the age of 18. Normally, the National Visa Center requires applicants who are 16 years of age and older to provide a police certificate, but for the moment the Mexican authorities will only provide a certificate to those applicants who are 18 or older.

Immigrant visa cases that were in process before March 6, 2017 should be able to proceed to be scheduled for a visa interview without requesting a Mexican police certificate. You should keep in mind that a consular officer can always request a police certificate during the interview for any applicant who is 18 or older and has resided in Mexico for more than 6 months.

If you have any questions regarding immigration, please feel free to call me, immigration attorney Shawn Mesa at (813) 679-5780.

Disclaimer: This information is provided as a public service and not intended to establish an attorney-client relationship. Any reliance on this information is taken at your own risk.

Comments on this entry are closed.