One of the key areas of my immigration practice’s focus is to help obtain temporary employment visas and permanent resident status (green card) for individuals, businesses, entrepreneurs, hospitals, colleges and universities, scientific – research organizations and professional sports franchises that are interested.

Obtaining a “green card” – which indicates lawful permanent residency in the United States – is typically the primary goal of my clients who are already in the United States on a temporary visa or are planning to enter this country.

If that is your goal too, please contact me today at (813) 679-5780 for your consultation and to learn how I can help you.


Employment-based immigrant visas are granted to individuals that have unique skills and wish to work in the United States – or for US-based businesses that use this unique tool for recruiting and retaining talented professionals or skilled employees. These visas are for:

  • Immigrants with extraordinary ability in business, art, science, or athletics
  • Managers and Executives of multi-national businesses
  • Outstanding professors or researchers
  • Immigrants with advanced degrees and performing work in the national interest
  • Immigrants with job offers and a Bachelor degree or higher, or work experience equaling a degree
  • Religious workers and ministers whose services are required by their non-profit religious organization
  • Immigrant investors with substantial funds invested in the United States

Some employment-based visa applications require you to go through a process called Program Electronic Review Management (PERM). This is a procedure by which the US Department of Labor certifies there is a lack of qualified US workers in your job category. Once the labor shortage is certified, you can apply with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services for your immigrant visa. Working with US Citizenship and Immigration Services can be a difficult task and I can help you quickly navigate this detailed process.


If you wish to enter the United States for a temporary period of time, a non-immigrant visa permits you to travel to a US port of entry and request permission of the Department of Homeland Security to visit for a specific purpose.

The length of time someone can stay in the United States depends on the visa status under which the person is admitted (for example, H-1B specialty occupation). And a person admitted in one status can often change their status in order to stay longer–or to perform different activities. For instance, a medical school student may want to change his or her status to an employer-sponsored non-immigrant visa once they graduate and find employment (assuming their new employer will sponsor them). Several types of non-immigrant visas also allow a person to extend their status and thereby extend their stay in the United States.

This process can also be confusing and complicated. I can make it much easier, determining the visa category that is right for you and assisting you with changing status from your current category to the new category. In appropriate cases, I can also obtain legal status and work authorization for your dependent family members.

The following is a brief list of the most commonly used temporary working visa categories:

H1-B Specialty Occupation
This non-immigrant visa classification applies to an alien who will be employed temporarily in a specialty occupation (one which typically requires a Bachelor’s degree) or as a fashion model of distinguished merit and ability. Under current law, there is an annual limit of 65,000 aliens who may be issued a visa or otherwise provided H-1B status. As many as 20,000 additional H-1B slots are available to graduates of US Master’s degree (or higher) programs.

L-1 Intra-company Transfers
The L-1 visa permits multinational companies to transfer high-level and essential employees from their international offices to the United States. The non-immigrant would work at the affiliate or subsidiary of that same employer in the U.S. in a managerial, executive, or specialized knowledge capacity.

E-1 Treaty Traders
The E-1 visa allows an individual to enter the United States on a non-immigrant basis for the sole purpose of carrying on substantial trade between his or her country and the United States. The home country of the non-immigrant must have a treaty with the United States.

E-2 Treaty Investor
If you come to the United States to run an enterprise in which you are invested, you may obtain the non-immigrant visa status of E-2 treaty investor. If you are an employee of a treaty trader investor you may also be qualified as an E visa holder if your duties require special qualifications essential to the business. The non-immigrant must have the same nationality as the alien employer and the home country of the non-immigrant must have a treaty with the United States.

O-1 Individuals of Extraordinary Ability or Achievement
Highly talented or acclaimed individuals may be eligible for an O visa for entry into the United States. People who may qualify for this visa are physicians, artists, scientists, and accomplished business people as well as athletes considered to be at the top of their field.

TN Professionals
These visas are limited to nationals of Canada and Mexico. If you are employed in one of the 63 listed professions in NAFTA, you can apply for non-immigrant TN status. Most of the listed professions require either a bachelor’s degree or a license degree.

R-1 Religious Workers
The R-1 visa permits religious workers to come to the United States to take on a religious occupation and perform services for their religious organization. The religious organization must already be established in the United States.

Here are a few other Permanent Employment Visas (Permanent Resident Cards or Green Cards) that might apply to your situation:

  • EB-1 Priority Workers
  • EB-2 Professionals with Advanced Degrees or Persons with Exceptional Ability
  • EB-3 Skilled or Professional Workers
  • EB-4 Special Immigrants
  • EB-5 Immigrant Investors
  • Permanent Immigration For Nurses

And here’s a quick look at more Temporary Visa (Non-Immigrant Visa) options that might apply to your situation:

  • B-1 Business Visa
  • B-2 Tourist Visa
  • E-3 Visa for Australians
  • P Visa for Artists, Athletes, and Entertainers

Find out about employment-based and non-immigrant visas by contacting me at (813) 679-5780 to arrange a consultation.